About Ocean City

Known first as Peck’s Beach, a seven-mile stretch of sand dunes, meadows, and cedar swamps was probably named for John Peck, a whaler who used the island as a staging spot for his whaling operation. The island had served as a summer fishing camp for local Indians, a grazing land for cattle driven out from the mainland, and an occasional hunting or picnic spot for mainland residents who would come out by boat. Original ownership of the land was by the Somers family. Several individuals had made their home on the island, most notable of which was Parker Miller who had served as an agent for marine insurance companies. He and his family lived in a home at about what is now the southwest corner of Seventh Street and Asbury Avenue.


In 1879 four Methodist ministers, Ezra B. Lake, James Lake, S. Wesley Lake and William Burrell chose the island as a suitable spot to establish a retreat and camp meeting. They met under a tall cedar tree which stands today at 6th Street and Asbury Avenue. Having chosen the name “Ocean City”, the founders incorporated the “Ocean City Association”, laid out streets and sold lots for cottages, hotels and businesses.


From these beginnings Ocean City has grown into the town we know today. The first bridge was built to the island in 1883. The railroad soon followed. The first school began in 1881. The boardwalk grew and was relocated several times.


Today Ocean City is known as America's Greatest Family Resort, a peaceful town with beautiful wide beaches and ocean breezes.

<From A Brief History of Ocean City - © Copyright 2004 Ocean City Historical Museum, Inc. >

About South Ocean City

South Ocean City, usually considered anywhere south of 34th Street, is the least commercial part of town. While there are a few snack bars, a small grocery, and a great ice cream shop on 55th St., the area is primarily residential. At the end of the island, beyond 59th St. is a protected part of the island, stretching to Corson's Inlet that is actually a state park. Our home at 5828 is just nine houses from the last house on the island.

Home | Contact